John J. Adelmann, Jr. Memorial Scholarship
- Applicant must be enrolled in a minimum of 9+ credit hours.
- Applicant must provide proof of financial need through the FAFSA application.
- Preference given to students who do not have any other financial aid.
- Preference given to students majoring in education.
- Preference given to students who are children of a United States Armed Forces Veteran.
John joined the faculty of McHenry County College in 1969, during its second year of operation. Serving as a guidance counselor, he was passionate about the potential of the new community college system to provide an alternate pathway to enrich young lives. He impacted the growth and success of MCC for thirty years as Director of Student Services (1974), Dean of Instruction (1985), and Vice President of Academic Affairs (1990) until his retirement in 1999. During his tenure, MCC’s community impact footprint grew from 1,200 annually enrolled students in a rented oil company laboratory building, to more than 10,000 students attending classes at locations throughout McHenry County, including the college’s 112-acre main campus.
At the time of his retirement, John said his most significant professional accomplishment was introducing technology into MCC’s instructional program. He oversaw the college’s expansion of computers from 15 to 900 over a fourteen-year span, and continued to champion technology funding, software, and systems upgrades until his retirement. He was instrumental in paving the way for MCC’s current technology reach and a foundation for education, training, and events that today serves nearly 60,000 people each year.