Christopher R. Schauer Memorial Scholarship
- Applicant must be enrolled as a full-time student.
- Applicant must maintain a 2.5 GPA and provide proof of GPA.
- Applicant must be a current member of an MCC Athletics Program team or an incoming freshman or transfer that has committed to playing on an MCC Athletic Program team.
- Applicant must provide a written essay (minimum 300 words) describing their passion for playing sports and their future goals.
- Preference will be given to MCC Women’s Basketball player.
- Preference will be giving to a resident of McHenry County.
This scholarship was established in memory of Christopher R. Schauer, a volunteer basketball team manager for 20 years for the McHenry County College’s men’s and women’s basketball teams. Schauer passed away on Aug. 10.
Chris was a regular presence at practices and games, where he moved balls into the gym, refilled water bottles, assisted the coaches and attended to the player’s needs. Chris always had a way to help motivate the players with his infectious smile and passion for the game of basketball. Former MCC Athletic Director Wally Reynolds described Chris as a dedicated and caring person who had a positive influence on the staff and student-athletes as well as being a service-oriented community member. MCC former women’s basketball coach Pam Mason said Chris was always smiling and positive the entire time I’ve known him. Regardless of what he was going through with his medical problems, he never talked about himself. He was always encouraging the girls to perform at their best. Former men’s head basketball coach Ken Ruud echoed her comments by saying, Chris had a lot of influence on people without intending to be influential. His conduct and the way he presented himself — was a great example.